Sunday, August 2, 2009

In what grade did you suffer the most teasing, and what were the causes?

I attended the same school from K thru 4th grade, then it closed and I went to a new school for 5th. Only a small amount of my friends went there, the others got sent elsewhere. I felt unsure of myself at the new school because almost everyone knew each other since kindergarten, but I didn't. Also, I didn't know how to wear my hair and hence, it was funky (NOT in a good way!!). I also didn't dress well, and I had horrible teeth because I was just starting what would be many years of orthodontic work. Also, I just overall had poor self-esteem, being an awkward pre-adolescent.





There were some clique-ish kids at that school (yep,mostly girls) who could smell my low self-esteem and gawkiness the way sharks smell blood in the water from a mile away! :( They teased me about ALL of the things in the first paragraph -- and anything else they could think of. 5th grade was my WORST year in terms of teasing.





How about you? What grade were you in, and what were you teased about?

In what grade did you suffer the most teasing, and what were the causes?
I would have to say in the 6th grade. I had moved from Maryland to Arizona and didn't know a soul. All of the kids had pretty much grown up with each other so I was the new kid and I was shy. I know what you mean about them being able to "smell low self-esteem". I was a little overweight, but they made it seem as though I was so fat that I couldn't fit through a door! I still, to this day, remember some of the names they called me. I allowed that to follow me through middle school and high school. I didn't get called the names, but I was so scarred from that experience that I totally shut people out and felt they were judging me by my appearance, which in all actuality wasn't bad at all. I didn't let anyone get close to me and didn't have many friends. I see people now that I went to high school with and they tell me that they thought I was stuck up because I never talked to anyone. If they only knew that was soooooo not the case.





Now that I have kids I do everything I can to make sure that they don't tease anyone. I tell them my experience and how much I let it affect my life.




hair talk

No comments:

Post a Comment